Answered By: Student Worker
Last Updated: Jun 15, 2016     Views: 23

Schools are authorized by The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to issue an immigration document through the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) that is used by foreign nationals to apply for a student visa to study in the United States. A school can also be authorized by the Department of State to use SEVIS to invite exchange visitors to come to their institution in the U. S. to study, teach, or perform research.

F-1 student 

F-1 is the most common immigration status for degree seeking international students. Prospective F-1 students will receive a Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility) document from the school, which they will generally use to apply for an F-1 visa at a US consulate or embassy. F-1 students are then admitted to the United States in F-1 status to study and must attend school full time except for their vacation break.

J-1 student  Currently HBU does NOT receive J-1 Visas.

M-1 student  Currently HBU does NOT receive M-1 Visas.