Answered By: Dean Riley
Last Updated: Nov 21, 2016     Views: 307

First, contact your advisor. your dean's office, or the Registrar (281-649-3213) to discuss your situation. Academic probation will vary between graduates and undergraduates. Graduate students are required to maintain a 3.0 average. If anyone is having academic issues, then they need to contact their program school as the policies will vary. Undergraduate probation is handled differently than for graduates.

Students who do not meet the satisfactory academic progress requirements will be placed initially on Financial Aid Warning for one semester without appeal and may receive aid. Students who do not meet satisfactory progress during the warning period and have extenuating circumstances such as personal illness, illness or death of immediate family, or financial obligations which require changes in employment that conflict with class schedules may appeal for a one semester probation period in writing to the Senior Director of Financial Aid and Scholarships. As part of the appeal, students will be required to submit information regarding their extenuating circumstances, why satisfactory progress was not met and what has changed in the student’s situation that would allow satisfactory academic progress to be demonstrated at the next evaluation. Students who are requesting a probation period must submit and be approved to follow an academic plan. If the appeal is approved, aid may be received for one semester. Students who do not meet the criteria after following the academic plan for one semester will not be eligible for aid until the criteria for satisfactory progress has again been attained. Students may make an appeal only once for each undergraduate and graduate degree. Students who have changed majors may appeal the completion percentage.

Here's what the HBU Catalog has to say about it (2012-2013 Catalog, p.52):


Any student who has failed to earn the cumulative scholastic levels designated above and who is ineligible for Academic Warning will be placed on Academic Probation and removed from the list of degree candidates until the appropriate cumulative standing is attained. A student on Academic Probation must earn a 2.00 GPA standing in the current semester to be eligible to continue in enrollment beyond that semester. Removal from Academic Probation requires that the student meets the required scholastic levels as set forth in the “Scholastic Standing” section of this Catalog. Students on Academic Probation are not eligible to represent the University unless they receive a waiver from the Provost.

The University Admissions Review Board may consider transfer students who are eligible to return to their prior institutions but who fail to attain minimal University standards. To be considered, the student must submit a personal statement, and two (2) academic letters of recommendation before the last Monday of the semester before the semester for which the student seeks admission. Any student so admitted will be admitted on Academic Probation and must attain good standing within one semester.

Notification of the action will be sent to the student and the faculty advisor and will be recorded on the student’s permanent transcript.

The Student Code of Conduct covers other types of probations which include: disrespect to persons of authority, significant damage to property, misuse of safety equipment, petty theft, sexual misconduct, cohabitation, violation of alcohol policy, intoxication or drunkenness, or repeat offenses after previous warnings.